The boxing legend had nothing but praises for the singer, who is portraying him in the upcoming movie “Hands of Stone.” From the looks of it, Usher appears to be a natural fit for the role.
“He has that thing, that thing that has no name — and that’s that feel, that’s our rhythm, Usher has that,” Leonard told HipHollywood.com.
“Hands of Stone” tells the story of Panamanian boxer Roberto Duran, who fought two legendary boxing matches in the 1980’s against Leonard. According to reports, Usher had to drop from 180 pounds to Leonard’s fighting weight of 146 pounds, grow an afro, and go through an intense boxing workout regimen in order to play Leonard.
Apparently, Usher’s hard work did not go unnoticed as Leonard had only one request to make the singer’s transformation complete. “He has 8-packs and I told him to take away two because I only had a six,” the boxing icon. “He is an incredible student of the game of boxing.”
For more of Sugar Ray Leonard’s thoughts on Usher playing him in “Hands of Stone,” check out the video below:
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- EUR Exclusive First Look Clip: Robert Townsend's 'Playin' for Love'
- For the Brothas: Nadkins ... Wet Naps For Your ... You Know
- Zendaya on Her Fears, the 'New Cool' and Obsessive Photoshopping
- Civil Rights Leaders Call for 'Lunch Out' of Pre Oscar Ceremony Luncheon
- James Franco to Direct ‘Zola Tells All’ Based on Stripper Twitter Saga
- James Brown Previews Super Bowl Pregame Show: 'It's Only 4 Hrs As Opposed to 7'
- Jill Scott Wins Big at 47th Annual NAACP Image Awards
- Kim & Kanye Fought Over Wiz Khalifa Rant and Wendy Williams Dis?
- 47th NAACP Image Awards Announces Winners of Non-Televised Categories
- Filmmakers Say 'Kung Fu Panda 3' is 'Perfect Premise For Creating Comedy' [EUR Exclusive]
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here