According to Deadline, the funnyman has emerged as the current frontrunner for the role in the Lee Daniels-directed biopic after blowing everyone away with his audition. Epps, along with Michael B. Jordan, Marlon Wayans, and Nick Cannon have been among actors auditioning for the filmmaker at The Weinstein Company headquarters.
Epps’ frontrunner status is the latest in a continuing saga involving the Pryor biopic. The “All About the Benjamins” star and Wayans were attached to play the comic icon in prior versions of the movie that ultimately fell apart.
For Wayans, the role was seemingly a lock as he was attached to play Pryor in the last version of the movie, which was had Bill Condon as director with Sony as the studio bringing the movie to theaters and Adam Sandler’s Happy Madison producing the feature.
In 2005, it was Epps who was on board to portray Pryor in a film version overseen by Pryor himself working on the project through his company, Indigo Productions. The director for that film was going to be Walter Hill.
Other versions of Pryor’s life story were attempted, including one starring Marlon Wayans’ brother Damon Wayans. Epps became the entertainer of choice for the Pryor family in light of the fact that they wanted an actor who was considered a big star. Efforts to get the film made proved to be an emotional experience for Pryor’ widow following the comic legend’s death in 2005. Deadline mentioned how heartbroken the widow had gotten after each version of the biopic gained momentum, only to fall apart.
Despite the ups and downs, current rumblings surrounding the film point towards it becoming a reality with Daniels and TWC. Epps may sit in the frontrunner’s seat, but an insider emphasized that no final decision had been reached regarding who will ultimately play Pryor. With that, the insider added that Wayans is not out of the running.
In other words, it’s still anybody’s game. For a look at the man these guys are trying to portray, check out footage of Pryor in his prime in the video below:
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- David Cash Reemerges as 'Justdavid'
- ‘Deadpool’ Off the Charts, ‘Single’ Suffers, and ‘Zoolander 2’ is Clueless
- Russell Simmons Announces All Def Movie Awards
- Aretha Franklin to Perform for First Time Ever in Windsor, Ontario, Canada
- LAUSD Whistleblower Protection - Does it Exist?
- Meryl Streep's 'We’re all African' Crazy Talk About Diversity
- Cam Newton Posts Heartfelt Message to his Supporters
- Boot Campaign Honors Lieutenant Colonel Dr. Marie Walters
- Black History Month at ESPN: 'SportsCenter' at Hampton for Historic Lacrosse Match; ‘Rise Up’; ‘Spike Lee’s Lil Joints’; NBA's John Wall & Miyah
- ICYMI: POTUS on ‘Ellen’; Ruben & Fantasia on ‘American Idol’ (Watch)
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here