*In the wake of the military announcing that it would relax hair rules for women, a black sailor says she will be discharged from the Navy this Friday after a 12-year career for failing to obey an order to cut off her natural hairstyle, reports USA Today:
Hospital Corpsman 2nd Class (SW/AW) Jessica Sims told Navy Times that she will be honorably discharged after refusing to trim her locks, which she had worn in small, tightly wound dreadlocks twisted into a bun since 2005. After a delay on her discharge, officials ruled that Sims’ locks were out of regulation and that her bun was too bulky to be worn with a gas mask.
“For the past couple weeks, not knowing what the Navy was going to do, if they were going to move forward with the discharge or keep me in, had me in a little limbo,” Sims said in a phone interview Wednesday. “In the back of my head I knew that they weren’t going to change, so it was more of just waiting for the date.”
Chief of Naval Personnel spokesman Lt. Cmdr. Chris Servello said Sims will be discharged for disobeying a lawful order.
Get the rest of this story at USA Today.
Navy Can’t Handle Jessica Sims’ Natural Style and Boots Her
- Bounce TV to Launch New Original Series 'In The Cut' Tuesday August 25 at 9:00 p.m.
- John Legend Will Executive Produce and Score Slave Drama Series
- Racist Yells N-word At Black Mom; Lectures Her on Constitution (WATCH)
- Kelly Price Thinks Cops Need to Throw the book at Nick Gordon (WATCH)
- Michael Gordon Bennett Calls Himself America's Whitest Black Kid
- FAMU Awarded $675,000, Multi-Year NCAA Academic Grant
- Naomi Campbell Still Gets Jitters Before Strutting the Runway
- WATCH: Leola Brown Goes in on Pat Houston Outside Bobbi Kristina Funeral
- Danger Sign in Bail for Alleged Cincinnati Police Shooter Ray Tensing
- Terrence Howard’s Ex Sues 'Empire' Star for Assault and Defamation
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here