*In the wake of the military announcing that it would relax hair rules for women, a black sailor says she will be discharged from the Navy this Friday after a 12-year career for failing to obey an order to cut off her natural hairstyle, reports USA Today:
Hospital Corpsman 2nd Class (SW/AW) Jessica Sims told Navy Times that she will be honorably discharged after refusing to trim her locks, which she had worn in small, tightly wound dreadlocks twisted into a bun since 2005. After a delay on her discharge, officials ruled that Sims’ locks were out of regulation and that her bun was too bulky to be worn with a gas mask.
“For the past couple weeks, not knowing what the Navy was going to do, if they were going to move forward with the discharge or keep me in, had me in a little limbo,” Sims said in a phone interview Wednesday. “In the back of my head I knew that they weren’t going to change, so it was more of just waiting for the date.”
Chief of Naval Personnel spokesman Lt. Cmdr. Chris Servello said Sims will be discharged for disobeying a lawful order.
Get the rest of this story at USA Today.
Navy Can’t Handle Jessica Sims’ Natural Style and Boots Her
- Chris Brown's Baby Mama Nia Guzman Responds to Criminal Allegations
- The Socialist's Journal: Kim Davis
- (Min. Paul Scott) Why Black Minds Matter: Readin’, Writin’ and Revolution
- CurlKit Launches 'Curlstar Favorits Box' - Offering Consumers Instant Access to Brands Coveted by Superstars
- Los Angeles Urban Policy Roundtable Awards Mumia Abu Jamal Health Fund
- THE (09-01-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- (The Black Hat) Nicki Minaj: The White Girl Hunter
- 'Meet the Celebrities on Your Own Terms' in Upcoming Workshop for Aspiring Writers (Photos!)
- Neighbors Complain Kardashians Wasting Water During Drought
- Will Packer Marries Longtime Love in Surprise Atlanta Wedding
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here