*In the wake of the military announcing that it would relax hair rules for women, a black sailor says she will be discharged from the Navy this Friday after a 12-year career for failing to obey an order to cut off her natural hairstyle, reports USA Today:
Hospital Corpsman 2nd Class (SW/AW) Jessica Sims told Navy Times that she will be honorably discharged after refusing to trim her locks, which she had worn in small, tightly wound dreadlocks twisted into a bun since 2005. After a delay on her discharge, officials ruled that Sims’ locks were out of regulation and that her bun was too bulky to be worn with a gas mask.
“For the past couple weeks, not knowing what the Navy was going to do, if they were going to move forward with the discharge or keep me in, had me in a little limbo,” Sims said in a phone interview Wednesday. “In the back of my head I knew that they weren’t going to change, so it was more of just waiting for the date.”
Chief of Naval Personnel spokesman Lt. Cmdr. Chris Servello said Sims will be discharged for disobeying a lawful order.
Get the rest of this story at USA Today.
Navy Can’t Handle Jessica Sims’ Natural Style and Boots Her
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Toronto Councillor Want Beyonce Investigated for Black Panther Ties
- He Used to Walk 21-Miles to Work, Now He Drives & is Overweight
- Malcolm Jamal Warner on Ride-Or-Die Friendship Between OJ and AC (Exclusive)
- Master P Sued Over Failure to Deliver Snoop Dogg in Dubai
- Grammys: Ice Cube & Son to Present; Miguel to Sing 'She's Out Of My Life'
- Yolanda Adams Added to Fox’s Live Musical ‘The Passion’
- Lance Stephenson Drags Ex K. Michelle Over ‘Down in the DM’ Remix
- Cleveland Rescinds $500 ER Bill Sent to Tamir Rice’s Family
- Not a Good Cop Look: Ex-Sheriff, Lee Baca, Admits Guilt in False Statements
- Woman Accusing Chris Brown of Battery Files Lawsuit
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here