*In the wake of the military announcing that it would relax hair rules for women, a black sailor says she will be discharged from the Navy this Friday after a 12-year career for failing to obey an order to cut off her natural hairstyle, reports USA Today:
Hospital Corpsman 2nd Class (SW/AW) Jessica Sims told Navy Times that she will be honorably discharged after refusing to trim her locks, which she had worn in small, tightly wound dreadlocks twisted into a bun since 2005. After a delay on her discharge, officials ruled that Sims’ locks were out of regulation and that her bun was too bulky to be worn with a gas mask.
“For the past couple weeks, not knowing what the Navy was going to do, if they were going to move forward with the discharge or keep me in, had me in a little limbo,” Sims said in a phone interview Wednesday. “In the back of my head I knew that they weren’t going to change, so it was more of just waiting for the date.”
Chief of Naval Personnel spokesman Lt. Cmdr. Chris Servello said Sims will be discharged for disobeying a lawful order.
Get the rest of this story at USA Today.
Navy Can’t Handle Jessica Sims’ Natural Style and Boots Her
- Diddy's Fall, Racist Arsonists, Nene Leakes and More News! | BHL's This Week
- WATCH: Deleted Scene from 'Home' Starring Rihanna, Jim Parsons
- Motorist Sues Bobbi Kristina as Family Prepares for Her Funeral
- Goodbye Clippers, Hello Mavericks! DeAndre Bolts from LA to Dallas
- Oprah is Hiring - 2015 Jobs Available in L.A. and N.Y.
- Lee England, Jr: You've Never Heard Violin Like This! (Covers Bey, Adele and Yeah, Mozart Too!) Photos
- Kim Burrell Returns with 'Thank You Jesus'
- Ava DuVernay WON'T Be Directing Marvel's 'Black Panther'
- Tamera Mowry-Housley Welcomes Daughter
- TMZ Claims Someone is Shopping Bobbi Kristina's Death Bed Photo
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here