*President Barack Obama announced Monday that Attorney General Eric Holder will travel to Ferguson, Missouri, on Wednesday, while again calling for calm in the town that has seen protests since the shooting of unarmed teen Michael Brown.
“While I understand the passions and the anger that arise over the death of Michael Brown, giving into that anger by looting or carrying guns, and even attacking the police, only dis-serves to raise tensions and stir chaos, it undermines, rather than advancing justice,” Obama said at a press conference Monday afternoon.
Of the situation, Obama said Ferguson is “rightly hurting,” but called once again for people to “seek some understanding rather than to simply holler at each other.”
“Let’s seek to heal, rather than to wound each other,” the president said.
“I’ve said this before, in too many communities around the country, a gulf of mistrust exists between local residents and law enforcement. In too many communities, too many men of color are left behind and seen only as objects of fear,” Obama said, before pointing to his own initiative, My Brother’s Keeper, which he said is already making significant progress. [Scroll down to listen.]
Holder met with Obama at the White House on Monday to discuss the situation in Ferguson after perhaps the most violent night of demonstrations since the fatal shooting of unarmed 18-year-old.
The president said Holder’s visit to Ferguson would include meeting with investigators and other leaders of the community. In addition to meeting with Holder, Obama said he also spoke to Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon as well as Missouri Sens. Roy Blunt and Claire McCaskill.
Other Obama administration officials in the meeting included White House deputy chief of staff Anita Breckenridge, White House counsel Neil Eggleston and Assistant to the President for Homeland Security and Counterterrorism Lisa Monaco, the report said.
Listen to Obama’s comments on Ferguson in its entirety below:
- Trump Casino Worker: Blacks Hidden When the Donald Visited
- Fox News' Megyn Kelly Goes in on #BlackLivesMatter Supporter (WATCH)
- People of Note: Jazz at Lincoln Center Opens their 28th Season in the Bronx
- The Great American Phone Lease...
- THE (09-03-15) EURweb Free-4-All Page/Board
- Kim Coles' Fairytale Wedding Set to Air on WEtv
- Brooklyn Woman Accepts Meager $10K for Cops' Harassment Over Dead Husband
- Tomica Wright Talks Eazy-E's Legacy in Unreleased Documentary
- Reginald Hudlin, David Hill Tapped to Give 88th Oscars a Makeover
- Will Master P’s Ex-Wife Drama Be Included in Reality Show?
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here