*As we reported earlier, Robin Williams died on Monday of an apparent suicide. The Oscar award-winner was only 63 years old. A comic icon, Williams suffered for decades from substance abuse, alcoholism, clinical depression and bipolar disorder.
Professor Jay P. Singh is a Washington DC based expert on suicide, mental illness, research and treatment. The third generation American and CEO of the Global Institute of Forensic Research grew up in the U.S., received his PhD in Psychiatry from the University of Oxford and has served as Senior Clinical Researcher for the Swiss Department of Justice in Zurich as well as a clinical associate at Yale School of Medicine.
“Bipolar disorder is best understood as a medical disease characterized by “high highs” (mania) and “low lows” (depression),” states Singh. “This roller coaster can place individuals such as Mr. Williams at higher risk of problem behaviors such as self-harm and, in tragic cases such had this, suicide.”
Jay is an internationally recognized and award-winning researcher, author, and lecturer with extensive knowledge and expertise in severe mental illness, but like millions of others was also a Robin Williams fan.
“Robin Williams was an inspiration in his portrayal of mental healthcare professionals. From “Good Will Hunting” to “Awakenings,” he managed to capture the compassion and empathy that we all hope to share with our patients. His talent and smile will be missed by a generation.”
Singh believes that: “Access to appropriate medication and adherence to a routine medication schedule can significantly reduce the likelihood of suicide in individuals diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder. This is important to understand for cases such as Mr. Williams who was known to go off his medications prior to comedy events to induce a manic state.”
Read MORE about Ron in Williams’ addictions in his own wards at AlkhallAnonymous.
Allen Media Strategies
Want to read more articles like this one? Subscribe to EURnewsletter.
Got A News Tip or Video You Want to Share? Contact us HERE.
- Toni Braxton to Star in Lifetime Biopic 'Un-Break My Heart'
- NeYo Shares Proposal Video, Slams Ex's Sterilization Claims [WATCH]
- Staples Singers Limited Edition 4-CD Box Set to be Released Nov. 13 from Stax/Concord Music Group
- Whoopi Goldberg Blasts Pro-Lifers: ‘Get Out of My Vagina!’
- Jennifer Hudson Dishes on Film Roles, Style and Weight Loss
- Sparkletainment Presents 'Loves Freedom' a One-woman Stage Performance (WATCH)
- 'Why You Always Lying' Creator Calls Viral Success 'Crazy'
- Deitrick Haddon Unveils Cover of 'MasterPiece'
- How to Successfully Balance Family, Parenting and Entertainment
- Terrence Howard Repays Rapper Petey Pablo with Role on 'Empire'
- Discover More Stories on EURweb: Click Here