*Nicki Minaj appears in black and white on the cover, and inside the pages of L’Uomo Vogue’s latest issue.
Her cover interview touches on a number of topics, including her thoughts on someday becoming a mom, how she was shaped by her rough upbringing, a recent panic attack on a plane, and being moved by Beyonce’s interaction with daughter Blue Ivy.
Check out pics and excerpts from the spread below:
On having a family of her own and becoming a mother:
• The time is not yet ripe, but when I decide to get married and become a mother, I would like to take a hiatus and dedicate myself completely to my child.
• I don’t want to work my whole life without ever experiencing the joys of a family. Family has always been very important to me, and that is why I want to wait until the right moment before starting my own. Right now I am too busy, but at a certain point the situation will change.
On how seeing her mother get abused by her father shaped her own life:
• That experience had a profound influence on my way of being a woman – never let a man cross the line or control me, especially in my career.
On being compared to Jay Z for her ability to be successful in both music and business simultaneously:
• It’s no coincidence that we have the same Zodiac sign – Sagittarius [laughs].
On having a panic attack while returning from Paris following her performance with Beyonce:
• I was flying in a private jet, tired from the performance and the jetlag, but instead of sleeping, I worried about all of the deadlines waiting for me in Los Angeles. I got really scared – I had a sort of panic attack.
On building her own empire:
• I want to build my empire. In my field, I have always seen men do it – from Diddy to Dr. Dre to Jay-Z. Now it’s a woman’s turn.
On seeing Beyonce interact with Blue Ivy:
• Seeing Beyoncé with her daughter and husband was so tender, and it showed me that it is possible to be an animal on stage and a caring mother at the same time.