st louis shooting crowd

Protesters at shooting of St Louis teenager early Thursday morning (10-09-14)

*Here we go again.

Wednesday night in St Louis, another black teenager has been killed by a policeman.

The incident led to hours of protests overnight Wednesday and into Thursday morning as an angry crowd gathered quickly when news spread across social media.

According to St. Louis Police Chief Sam Dotson, the officer was off-duty, working a secondary job for a private security company, when he fatally shot an 18-year-old male identified as Vonderrit Meyers

Police say the teen had opened fire on the officer who was unhurt. Relatives of the dead teen disputed the police version of the story. They say he didn’t have a weapon.

Here’s what STL Today is reporting:

Teyonna Myers, 23, of Florissant, said Myers was her cousin.

“He was unarmed,” Teyonna Myers said. “He had a sandwich in his hand, and they thought it was a gun. It’s like Michael Brown all over again.”

Dotson, who came to the scene and gave an update to reporters after midnight, said the officer had been in a car when he saw three males in the 4100 block of Shaw Boulevard at about 7:30 p.m. Wednesday. One of the males started to run away but stopped. The officer did a U-turn and then all three ran. The officer drove through streets following them, and then he got out and chased them on foot.

Assistant Police Chief Alfred Adkins said the teen the officer was chasing jumped from some bushes and struggled with the officer.

Dotson said a physical confrontation escalated into gunfire.

The teenager had a gun and fired at least three shots at the officer, who returned fire, the chief said. The teenager attempted to fire more but his gun jammed, Dotson said.

The officer fired 17 times, he said. It is unclear how many times the teenager was struck.

Police said they recovered a 9mm Ruger.

Dotson did not identify the 18-year-old but said he “was no stranger to law enforcement.”

Myers was scheduled to stand trial in November for unlawful use of a weapon and resisting arrest. According to court documents, the incident happened June 27 in St. Louis. In early July, Myers was released on bail after posting $1,000 cash bond. His bail originally was set at $30,000 but was dropped to $10,000 after Judge Theresa Counts Burke agreed it was excessive. She allowed Myers to post 10 percent of that in cash. As a condition of bail, Myers was supposed to be under house arrest and wear an electronic ankle monitor. Myers’ trial was set for Nov. 17.

As we said at the top, word of the officer-involved shooting quickly spread across social media, and crowds of angry people began showing up and flooded the streets.

The crowd numbered about 300 at its peak. Random gunshots fired by someone near Shaw caused many to scatter. At least two rounds of gunshots were heard near the scene.

Several police cars were damaged. A crowd surrounded a police SUV and someone kicked and broke a taillight. Someone in the angry crowd broke out a rear window of a police SUV as it drove away.

Police closed Grand between Russell and Interstate 44 before midnight. A tactical team showed up to order people out of the street. Some protesters were sitting in the road. Others marched north on Grand. They shouted, “Black lives matter.”

The crowd included several who said they were Myers’ relatives. Some shouted at police, and some were in tears.

You can the rest of this story and more photos at STL Today.

st louis shooting crowd1