al shabab

*(Via Newsy) – Gunmen suspected to be part of the Al-Shabab terrorist organization seized a bus in northeastern Kenya early Saturday and killed 28 passengers.

A passenger who escaped told the BBC the 60 passengers on board were separated into two groups, Somalis and non-Somalis. Those who could not cite passages of the Quran were then executed.

The Kenya Red Cross has confirmed the deaths and says they are working on transporting the bodies to the county hospital.

Reports on how many gunman there were vary, with the escaped passenger telling the BBC there were about 10 who boarded the bus and a county commissioner telling the Daily Nation there were about 100.

While not officially confirmed, the BBC says an Al-Shabab-linked website has released a statement claiming responsibility for the attack and saying it was in retaliation for Kenyan mosque raids in the southern port city of Mombasa earlier this week. (Video via YouTube / -{4}- مؤسسة البتار الإعلامية)

Read/learn MORE at Newsy.

WATCH this video report from Newsy: