ray mcdonald

*Defensive lineman Ray McDonald has been released by the San Francisco 49ers amid an investigation by San Jose police into McDonald on suspicion of sexual assault.

The team’s general manager Trent Baalke says he informed McDonald and his agent by phone at 11:30 a.m. PST that the athlete is “terminated.”

Earlier today, local law authorities said they were investigating McDonald on suspicion of sexual assault.

San Jose Police Department Sgt. Heather Randol said an area hospital notified police late Tuesday night that a woman was seeking treatment and that detectives had searched McDonald’s San Jose home.

“The victim alleged she was possibly sexually assaulted a day prior,” Randol said. “Based on preliminary investigation, detectives secured a search warrant and served it at the alleged suspect’s residence in San Jose.”

No arrests have been made, nor have charges been filed.

The investigation marks the second time in recent months that McDonald has been the subject of a police investigation.

Last month, the Santa Clara County district attorney’s office announced that it declined to file charges against McDonald in a domestic violence investigation stemming from his Aug. 31 arrest.

Prosecutors cited conflicting versions of what happened, a lack of verifiable eyewitnesses and a lack of cooperation by the alleged victim, McDonald’s fianceé.

McDonald had played all season despite pressure on the 49ers to bench him.

Prior to McDonald’s release, NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said the league was looking into the matter.