shaneka-thompson and Ismaaiyl Brinsley*A neighbor of the ex-girlfriend of NYPD cop killer Ismaaiyl Brinsley admitted to hearing the 29-year-old woman scream loudly after Brinsley shot her in the abdomen hours before he killed NYPD police officers Rafael Ramos and Wenjian Liu.

The account given by police, who say Brinsley arrived at Shaneka Thompson’s apartment in Baltimore at 5:45 a.m. Saturday. After letting himself in with a key Thompson didn’t know he had, the former couple started arguing about their failed relationship. During the argument, Brinsley put a gun to his head with the intention to kill himself.

After Thompson talked him out of the suicide attempt, Brinsley shot her before he fled the apartment. The pair’s fighting was heard by Thompson’s neighbor, Yevette Seay, who mentioned that despite hearing past commotions between Thompson and Brinsley, the screaming coming from Thompson’s place caused her to get out of bed that morning.

“I could hear something going on and it wasn’t pleasant,” Seay told the Associated Press. “Then I heard some screaming, then she went out onto her balcony and screamed for help.”

According to Seay, she heard Thompson scream: “He shot me! I don’t want to die! I don’t want to die.”

Thompson arrived at Seay’s front door minutes later, pleading for her to let her in. Despite seeing her bloodied and injured when looking out the peephole, she admitted that she kept her door locked and called 911.

“I told her to hang in there. I was afraid to ask her too many questions because she was hysterical,” Seay told the AP.

At 6 a.m. that day, Brinsley called Thompson’s mother (from Thompson’s phone that he had taken) to tell her it was an accident that he shot Thompson and that he hoped she would survive, the New York Post reports.

As Baltimore police tracked Brinsley (via GPS on Thompson’s phone)  on Saturday morning, the stage was set for the tragedies that would later happen. According to reports, Brinsley posted messages on his Instagram account about his plans to “put wings on pigs.”

Baltimore police later alerted the NYPD about Brinsley’s posts when his GPS put him in the New York area. Brinsley later shot and killed Ramos and Liu in the Bedford-Stuyvesant neighborhood of Brooklyn later that morning, before shooting himself in the head after fleeing to a nearby subway station.

Brinsley’s mother spoke about her son, saying he suffered from an undiagnosed mental illness and also attempted suicide last year.

According to reports that Thompson is expected to survive.