Greg Hardy leaves a Charlotte, NC courthouse Monday, Feb. 9, 2015, after the domestic violence case against him fell apart

Greg Hardy leaves a Charlotte, NC courthouse Monday, Feb. 9, 2015, after the domestic violence case against him fell apart

*Domestic violence charges against Carolina Panthers defensive end Greg Hardy have been dismissed, because his accuser has not made herself available to help with the case, prosecutors said Monday, according to ESPN.com.

Hardy’s appeal of his 2014 conviction was scheduled to begin Monday morning at the Mecklenburg County Courthouse, but his accuser, ex-girlfriend Nicole Holder, never showed up.

In a statement explaining the decision to dismiss charges, the district attorney’s office said it has “reliable information” that Holder and Hardy have reached a civil settlement and that she has “intentionally made herself unavailable to the State.”

Prosecutors have been unable to find Holder to issue her a subpoena, which would have compelled her to testify in the trial. Holder’s civil attorney also has refused to assist prosecutors in locating his client.

Hardy requested the jury trial July 15 after Mecklenburg District Court Judge Rebecca Thorne Tin found the 2013 Pro Bowl selection guilty of assaulting and threatening Holder. Under North Carolina law, his appeal set aside the guilty verdict.

Prosecutors last spoke with Holder in November, and at that time she indicated she wasn’t interested in participating in another trial. She has not spoken with them since then, they said in the statement.

Hardy left the courthouse without comment.

ON THE FIELD

greg-hardy

Hardy played only one game last season but received $13.1 million from Carolina after being designated the franchise tag in February. He was placed on the inactive roster in Week 2, days after the NFL’s climate regarding domestic violence changed with the release of a video showing then-Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice hitting his then-fiancée Janay Palmer in a casino elevator.

Hardy was placed on the commissioner’s exempt list before Week 3 until his case was resolved. General manager Dave Gettleman said after the July 15 verdict that “what’s happened with Greg is very concerning and disappointing.”

“His status remains unchanged until we fully review the matter,” the NFL said Monday.