*Suge Knight rolled into court this morning chained to a wheelchair – a move he claims was meant to humiliate him, because he didn’t need wheeled assistance.
Judge Ronald Coen on Wednesday gave the former rap mogul time to hire a new attorney in his robbery case, filed after a celebrity photographer accused him and comedian Katt Williams of taking her camera last year.
Knight fell out at his previous court hearing and has been taken from courthouses four times for medical conditions since he was charged with murder in early February in a separate hit-and-run case.
Suge complained to Judge Coen that he didn’t need the wheelchair, and that he walked from his jail cell onto the bus and walked into the courthouse before being placed in the chair. His lawyer Matt Fletcher said the chair seemed to be an effort to humiliate his client.
“As he said, it’s like `Silence of the Lambs,'” Fletcher said, referencing a scene in 1991 film in which Anthony Hopkins’ character is heavily restrained and strapped to a hand truck.
According to reports, Coen promised Knight, 49, that he would not be brought into court in the wheelchair again as long as he was fit to walk.
As for the case, Coen pressed Knight about whether he wanted a new attorney in the robbery case. His previous attorney, David Kenner, said in a filing he no longer wanted to represent Knight.
Knight said he wanted to fire Kenner and has until May 27 to hire a new attorney.
Knight is due back in court Monday for a preliminary hearing in the murder case filed after he allegedly struck two men with his truck outside a Compton burger stand, killing one of them.
Fletcher said he expects the hearing, during which prosecutors will present some of the evidence in the case, will go forward.