*Photographs of stomach-churning moldy hair weave became a trending story back in 2014, with hair professionals warning women who rock weaves for more than two months that they risk being forced to cut off their natural hair once fungus invades.
This tragic weave trend was explained further by the Moldy Blogger, outlining the causes of weave mold and stressing why it’s necessary to remove the real hair.
Sadly, we’re not welcoming 2016 without revisiting these lazy women who wear sewn-in weaves long enough for a mold infestation to grow. A hair stylist has shared the unfortunate video below showing her removing a crusty, moldy weave from a client who sported faux locks for more than a year. Gross.
Not only is it gross but it’s also quite dangerous to rock weave longer than the suggested two month maximum. Three months is kinda pushing it. You risk the mold growth spreading down deep into your scalp and possibly making you ill. Mold is a fungus that “requires a warm temperature, a wet environment, a dark setting, and a decomposing organic material in order to survive and thrive,” the Mold Blogger notes, adding that consumers of weave should ALWAYS consider the source of their product before sewing it in.
When analyzing these instances of mold-infested hair weave, many questions must be examined, for instance: was the weave synthetic or authentic human hair? Was it donated from a live person or a deceased person? Was it mixed with animal hair? What was the condition of the weave prior to being sewn into the customer’s natural hair? The questions are endless but worthy of consideration. After all, is spending hundreds of dollars to wear someone else’s hair worth risking your health for?
What’s the longest you’ve worn a sew-in for?
Watch the gross weave come off:
— Edamame Mudiay (@__broke) December 27, 2015