* Just one week following the release of his “deeply autobiographical” new single, “Tabernacle,” Royce 5’9 partnered with MTV Asia and BET Jams to deliver the visual for the S-1 and J Rhodes produced single.
The song recounts what Royce calls the most significant day of his life, the day he met Eminem following a live performance in his hometown of Detroit which he struggled through just hours after finding out his grandmother was in a fatal car accident and his girlfriend was in labor with his first son.
“I learned a lot this day,” Royce shares at the end of the song. “I learned that the universe has this way of balancing itself out… I learned that God is real.”
Royce offered viewers a behind-the-scenes look at the video shoot, where he introduced his son, his rap namesake, Royce, who plays him in the video. (Click here to watch). Photographer Jeremy Deputat also captured a few tender moments between the two during the shoot.
“Tabernacle” is the first single from his forthcoming sixth solo album “Layers,” which will be released on April 15 via his own Bad Half Entertainment imprint, through a partnership with in Grooves. The album is currently available for pre-order on iTunes. (Click here to purchase).
Watch the Tabernacle visual
The career of Ryan Montgomery does not fit neatly into any archetype story line. For better or worse, it’s one of a kind.
Who else can claim to be an artist who lives in the creative company of giants, and at the same time, accessible to the underground movement that birthed his career?
Between Slaughterhouse, PRhyme, and Bad Meets Evil, the Detroit MC has three dominant, differently successful groups he co-founded, all pulling from different parts of his skill and personality. That’s before Nickel’s extensive solo catalog is even mentioned.
As he tells it, ” When it comes to my music, I think I’ve been able to grow because I’ve never let the industry define who I am as a artist.”
Royce 5’9 announced today that he will celebrate the release at S.O.B.’s in New York City on Thursday, April 14. Tickets for the event go on sale this Friday, March 18 at noon. In the weeks leading up to the release, he will also be revealing a series of interactive marketing initiatives that will allow his fans to actively support Layers by sharing the album with their friends and followers in a variety of ways.
Track listing for Layers
1.’Tabernacle’ Produced by: S1 and J. Rhodes
2. ‘Pray’ Produced by: Mr. Porter
3. ‘Hard'(What Was I Thinkin’) Produced by: AntMan Wonder
4. ‘Startercoat’ Produced by: Mr. Porter
5. ‘Wait’ Produced by: Jake One
6. ‘Shine’ (Skit)
7. ‘Shine’ Produced by: Nottz
8. Lincoln (Skit)
9. Flesh Produced by: DJ Khalil
10. Hello (Skit) Featuring Melanie Rutherford Produced by: Daniel Smith
11. Misses Featuring K. Younge Produced by: DJ Khalil
12. Dope! Featuring Loren W. Oden Produced by: Pain One for
13. ‘American’ Produced by: S1 and Epikh
14. ‘Layers Featuring Pusha T & Rick Ross’ Produced by: Mr. Porter
15. ‘Quiet Featuring Tiara & Mr. Porter’ Produced by: Mr. Porter
16. ‘Gottaknow’ Produced by: S1 and Epikh
17. ‘Off’ Produced by: Mr. Porter