*Georgia’s new football coach Kirby Smart now knows why the rapper calls himself Ludacris. When Luda’s ludicrous demands, er, rider for his appearance at Georgia’s G-Day spring football game became public last week, the Internet collectively sighed…of course the questions about it were a’plenty.
One reporter took one look at the rider and was compelled to hit up his local store to price out how much it cost to hire Ludacris to perform at Sanford Stadium. The total bill to bring the hip-hop star to Athens: $65,000. Luda performed in front of at least 93,000 fans for about 15 minutes, which comes out to a cost of $4,333.33 per minute.
Ludacris was hired two days prior to Saturday’s event, and his contract, obtained by the Macon Telegraph, included a rider — standard in most performance contracts — covering food, towels, Fruit Roll-Ups, toothpaste, batteries, liquor and a box of condoms.
In addition to the dozen BRAND NEW white towels (“No old towels,” the rider says) and a meal for 10, here is a line-item look at what it cost to “properly pamper Ludacris.”
READ RELATED STORY: Ludacris’ Baby Mama Tamika Fuller Starts GoFundMe to Fight for Custody
• “1 loaf of Bread (whole grain with the most amount of grains).” Cost: $3.29. Thought: Do I have to count the grains? Is anyone going to know if the chosen loaf only has the second-most grains? But then again, Georgia’s spring football game is hanging in the balance; don’t scrimp on the grains! Hunker down!
• “Organic Peanut Butter (Creamy only).” Cost: $5.59. Thought: Interesting capitalizations on this list.
• “Organic Jelly (Strawberry or Grape only).” Cost: $3.39. Thought: That’s nice. Ludacris would like a health-conscious PB&J sandwich or two … before or after his eight-item dinner.
• “Candies (assorted i.e.: snickers, m & m’s, jolly ranchers, etc).” Cost: $8.94. Thought: Ludacris has a sweet tooth.
• “1 box Green Tea (Tazo) w/condiments i.e.: lemon, organic honey, sugar. Cost: $3.99. Thought: I forgot the condiments. Hope this is not a deal-breaker. Would athletic director Greg McGarity fire me for failing to produce organic honey?
• “Nag Champa incense.” Cost: $1.50 online. Thought: Now this is getting weird. There is no incense aisle at Kroger. Maybe somewhere in Athens, Ga., you can find this – but where? If I’m the Georgia staffer, this would be my first nervous call back to the office for help.
• “Box of Fruit Roll Ups.” Cost: $2.99. Thought: OK, back to something manageable. Whew.
• “Mint Listerine.” Cost: $4.99. Thought: If Luda only does one gargle, there will be a lot of wasted Listerine.
• “6 Hanes Large White T-Shirts.” Cost: $24.99. Thought: Great, after the grocery store I have to hit Target for T-shirts. As if we’re not going to give him Georgia T-shirts when he arrives.
• “1 Crest Spin rechargeable Toothbrush.” Cost: $7.99. Thought: Risking it and going with an Oral-B brush because there are no Crest brushes in stock. Second thought: Are we really buying His Highness an electric toothbrush?
• “1 Bottle Crest Toothpaste.” Cost: $3.19. Thought: If you’re buying the brush, you’ve got to buy the paste.
But wait, there’s MORE! Click here to read the full list.