All posts by EURPublisher01

tumblr_mu2ijmFuRn1sk01iao1_1280

Nicole Beharie: Why ‘Sleepy Hollow’s’ Time Gap Jokes Never Get Old

Nicole Beharie On Why Sleepy Hollow’s Time Gap Jokes Never Get Old

*All of the false murder confessions, zombie George Washingtons and purgatory dollhouses of Fox’s hit series “Sleepy Hollow” aside, half the fun of the show is watching Abbie [Nicole Beharie] watch Ichabod Crane [Tom Mison] make sense of our modern day silliness.

A scene from Season 2, for example, has “Ichabbie” in a bank when the 18th century soldier spots a pen attached to one of the countertops, then goes on a Kanye-like rant when an employee tries to sign him up for a credit card.

“These people entrust you with their fortune, yet you cannot entrust them with a simple inkwell?” he said.

And he was just getting started. [Scroll down to watch.]

Ichabod Crane (Tom Mison, Ichabod learns about banking  in SLEEPY HOLLOW Season 2

Ichabod (Tom Mison) learns about banking in SLEEPY HOLLOW Season 2

Executive producer Mark Goffman says those particular scenes aren’t just for comic relief.

“It’s less about [Ichabod] reacting to modern technology like, ‘Oh, isn’t that funny that he doesn’t understand a gadget?’ and much more a social commentary, to me at least, about how somebody who was around and was mates with our Founding Fathers and here at the beginning of our country and fought for that – and now what he’s seeing in our society, and getting a social commentary.”

Goffman continues, “That’s where both him and Abbie together are so interesting to have that conversation, as they did from that very first episode in the pilot when he said he was for emancipation. We have an episode where we’ll get to see Abbie go to the polling booth and vote, and Crane gets to see voting. He gets to learn to drive, which was actually inspired by Tom, who’s learning to drive.”

Below, Beharie gives us her take on the show’s time gap social commentary:

“Sleepy Hollow” Season 2 begins tonight, Sept. 22, at 9pm E/P following the series premiere of “Gotham.”

Watch the bank scene from Season 2 below:

 

(Nicole Beharie On Why Sleepy Hollow’s Time Gap Jokes Never Get Old)
Steve_Bisciotti_Press_Conferece_Ray_Rice_Video

Ravens Owner: Ray Rice Behind ESPN Article Claiming Cover-Up

Steve_Bisciotti_Press_Conferece_Ray_Rice_Video

*Baltimore Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti has addressed ESPN’s “Outside the Lines” article that broke over the weekend claiming that he tried to cover up attempts to have the league go easy on Ray Rice with just a two-game suspension after learning he knocked his then-fiance unconscious in an elevator.

Addressing the media, Bisciotti said he strongly believes the sources for the ESPN article were Ray’s attorney, Ray’s agent and Ray’s friends — who gave the info to ESPN in an effort to get Ray reinstated into the NFL.

Bisciotti says the allegations in the ESPN article are false, but says he believes Ray’s team would push the false stories out because the best way to build a case for reinstatement is to “make everybody else look like they’re lying.”

“The majority of the sources are people that work for Ray,” Bisciotti said. “Almost everything in there is anonymous, but it’s clear from the subject matter that it’s Ray’s attorney, it’s Ray’s agent, it’s Ray’s friends.”

“Outside the Lines” reported Friday that Bisciotti, Ravens president Dick Cass and general manager Ozzie Newsome tried to persuade NFL commissioner Roger Goodell to be lenient on Rice following his February arrest.

The Ravens released Rice earlier this month after TMZ released the second video. The NFL suspended Rice indefinitely shortly after he was released by the team.

According to the OTL report, Ravens coach John Harbaugh urged team officials to cut Rice immediately after the first TMZ video, which showed Rice dragging Palmer out of the elevator, was released in February. The report also indicated Harbaugh went to Newsome in March and asked him to release the three players who were arrested this offseason, including Rice.

Minutes before the news conference, the Ravens issued a lengthy rebuttal to the OTL report. Included in the Ravens’ statement:

• Harbaugh said he did not recommend cutting Rice after seeing the first videotape, as OTL said he had urged his bosses. “I did not recommend cutting Ray Rice from the team after seeing the first videotape,” Harbaugh said in the statement. Newsome, in the statement, said: “Neither John nor anyone else ever recommended cutting Ray Rice before we saw the second videotape on September 8.”
• The Ravens director of security denied that he received an account of the incident “within hours” of the incident. In the statement, he said that within “a couple of days,” he asked the casino and the Atlantic City policy for a copy of the videotape and he was turned down. He said that, on Feb. 25, a police department official offered to view the tape and “describe what he saw.” He said the official described both of them as intoxicated, but that “the officer could not tell from the video whether Ray slapped or punched her, but Ray told me very clearly that he did not punch her.”
• Newsome said that he and Rice talked and that Rice told him he hit his then-fiancee, but that they did not “discuss details beyond that.” “I immediately focused on Ray taking responsibility and making amends,” Newsome said. “I later said Ray didn’t lie to me because he told me he hit her, and that is what the video later showed-although the video was much more violent than what I had pictured.”
• Bisciotti and Cass denied that they lobbied the judicial system in New Jersey or Goodell to go easy on Rice. “That statement is not true,” Cass said.

Baltimore Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti (right) and running back Ray Rice (left) hug during the Super Bowl XLVII celebration at M&T Bank Stadium

Baltimore Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti (right) and running back Ray Rice (left) hug during the Super Bowl XLVII celebration at M&T Bank Stadium

Bisciotti also addressed OTL’s report that he texted Ray Rice – one day after cutting him –  basically offering him a job down the road, a move that Rice interpreted as “hush money” and left Rice “flabbergasted.”

Bisciotti confirmed the text exchanges but said they were “told to someone and misquoted” by ESPN in the article. He then published what he says are texts in “verbatim” form.

“I did have an exchange of text messages with Ray, which he initiated,” Bisciotti said. “I felt awful about what had happened. I believed he was, at heart, a good person, that he was capable of redemption, and I wanted to tell him I would be supportive of him. Here are the texts, not as told to someone and then misquoted in the article, but verbatim.”

Those texts, per the Ravens release, read as follows:

Monday September 8, 7:44 pm

Ray: I understand the decision but I am thankful for what you have done for me and my family. Me and my wife will continue to work on us and being better but I just wanted to say thank you for giving me a chance

Steve: I’m sorry we had to do this. I still love you and believe that you will be a great husband and father If you ever need to talk just call

Tuesday September 9, 10:27 pm

Steve: I just spent two hours talking to Ozzie. It was all about you. We love you and we will always figure out a way to keep you in our lives. When you are done with football I will hire you to help me raise Great young men. I still love you!!!

Ray: I know it’s a rough time for all of us I love all of you and that will never change for life!

Steve: I will help you make it a great life indeed. I give you my WORD

Ray: That means the world to me and my family we greatly appreciate you and thank you.

At his press conference on Monday, Bisciotti addressed the idea of trying to pay off Rice.

“If I cut a guy making $6 million a year — if I’m promising him to be by his side and hire him for $100,000 a year five years from now so he can help Harry Swayne in our player development department — if that is considered worthy of him going along, I find that rather absurd because it would take him 250 years to make back the $25 million that I took away from him by cutting him.”

Mike Tyson

Mike Tyson Comforts Man after Motorcycle Crash

0919-mike-tyson-rescue-tmz-4

*Mike Tyson literally sprung into action over the weekend when he helped a man lying helplessly in the road following a motorcycle crash.

According to TMZ, Ryan Chesley was en route to Las Vegas when a cab suddenly cut him off and sent him flying off his bike. Luckily for him, the former heavyweight champion of the world had witnessed the crash.

Chesley was sprawled out in the middle of the busy freeway when Tyson — mindful the victim might be in shock — slammed on his brakes and rushed to the man’s side, keeping him calm until paramedics arrived.

Chesley — who has broken bones, muscles, ligaments, nerve damage and needs shoulder surgery — tells TMZ he’s sending Tyson a thank you note and a fruit basket.

viola davis

Viola Davis Answers NYT Critic Who Called Her ‘Less Classically Beautiful’

Actress Viola Davis speaks onstage at the 66th Annual Primetime Emmy Awards held at Nokia Theatre L.A. Live on August 25, 2014 in Los Angeles, California

Actress Viola Davis speaks onstage at the 66th Annual Primetime Emmy Awards held at Nokia Theatre L.A. Live on August 25, 2014 in Los Angeles, California

*It appears as if Viola Davis has used Maya Angelou to address  Alessandra Stanley, the New York Times TV critic who made headlines for suggesting that Shonda Rhimes is an “angry black woman” who has made the cultural stereotype palatable by channeling it through her popular primetime characters.

During the misguided piece, Stanley says Viola Davis’ character Annalise in the forthcoming Shondaland production “How to Get Away With Murder,” “is sexual and even sexy, in a slightly menacing way, but the actress doesn’t look at all like the typical star of a network drama.”

Stanley continues: “Ignoring the narrow beauty standards some African-American women are held to, Ms. Rhimes chose a performer who is older, darker-skinned and less classically beautiful than Ms. Washington, or for that matter Halle Berry, who played an astronaut on the summer mini-series ‘Extant.’”

On Sunday, Davis decided to tweet the following words from Maya Angelou:

Following a barrage of feedback from readers, Stanley has insisted her intentions were misunderstood. The Times’ culture editor, Danielle Mattoon, has released a statement offering her regret.

It reads: “There was never any intent to offend anyone and I deeply regret that it did. Alessandra used a rhetorical device to begin her essay, and because the piece was so largely positive, we as editors weren’t sensitive enough to the language being used.

“I do think there were interesting and important ideas raised that are being swamped… This is a signal to me that we have to constantly remind ourselves as editors of our blind spots, what we don’t know, and of how readers may react.”

Stanley adds, “In the review, I referenced a painful and insidious stereotype solely in order to praise Ms. Rhimes and her shows for traveling so far from it. If making that connection between the two offended people, I feel bad about that. But I think that a full reading allows for a different takeaway than the loudest critics took…. (and) I commended Ms. Rhimes for casting an actress who doesn’t conform to television’s narrow standards of beauty.”

Read Stanley’s entire article here.

Kenan Thompson

Kenan Thompson to Leave ‘Saturday Night Live’ At Season’s End

Kenan Thompson

*Kenan Thompson is reportedly set to leave “Saturday Night Live” after the upcoming season.

According to TMZ, the most tenured African-American cast member in the show’s history was planning to leave after last season, but decided to stay on at the request of executive producer Lorne Michaels, citing the show’s massive turnover this season.

Thompson has no hard feelings and is leaving on great terms, TMZ reports, adding he’s in talks for a new show and plans on moving to Los Angeles (with his wife and brand new baby) when the season ends.

alicia-keys

Pregnant Alicia Keys Goes Naked for the Greater Good

*Alicia Keys has stripped naked and taken to Instagram in the interest of world peace.

The singer, 34, posted a nude photo Saturday featuring her pregnant belly painted with a white peace sign – all to back the “We Are Here” movement, dedicated to supporting a variety of social justice issues, from gun control to gay rights.

“It’s you and me on a mission to create a kinder and more peaceful world,” she wrote. “The #WeAreHere Movement begins today.”

On Sunday, Keys spoke at the 92nd Street Y in New York City as part of the two-day Social Good Summit. There, she announced plans for the “We Are Here” movement.

“As I prepare to give birth to my new child, I can’t help but think what world I’m bringing the baby into,” she said. “We see the state of the world today and we can all feel the frustration and the desire to do something to make it better.

“We all want to do something but oftentimes we don’t feel empowered. That is why I created ‘We Are Here.’ Because it’s not about me. It’s about we.”

Added Keys: “I felt that if we could gather a group of really powerful organizations, how many people would want to come out and say ‘I believe in that,’ or ‘That’s important to me?’ People want to be awakened. So we are here to manifest and empower our community.”

The singer concluded her speech by personally pledging $1 million to the cause, urging her fans to donate as well: “I want all of us to take the ‘We Are Here’ peace pledge to support this great work.”

Keys’s second child with husband Swizz Beatz is due in December. The couple are already parents to son Egypt, 3½.