*Dominique Strauss-Kahn, the former chief of the International Monetary Fund, will face charges of aggravated pimping in a French court, the Associated Press reports.
Strauss-Kahn was thrust into the media spotlight in 2011 after he was arrested on charges that he sexually abused a maid, Nafissatou Diallo, at a Manhattan hotel. A New York City judge dismissed the sexual assault charges after an assistant district attorney told the court that inconsistencies in the 32-year-old accuser’s story made it impossible to defend her. Strauss-Kahn resigned as head of the IMF before the charges were dropped.
Now, the former International Monetary Fund chief will have to defend himself in a French court on charges of aggravated pimping, despite recommendations by prosecutors that the charges be dropped.
Judges investigating the case in the northern city of Lille, [France] decided on Friday to go ahead with the charges.
The case revolves around an alleged hotel prostitution ring and hinges on whether Strauss-Kahn knew he was partying with prostitutes and whose money was used to pay them. His lawyers have said Strauss-Kahn had attended “libertine” gatherings but did not know that some women there were paid.
Strauss-Kahn is but one of 14 people to be charged with aggravated pimping in a group. A more serious charge of organized pimping was dropped earlier.
Prosecutors in June had asked for the case against Strauss-Kahn to be dropped on the grounds of lack of evidence, though they agreed the others should be charged.
*Deadline.com is reporting that filmmaker Abel Ferrara and screenwriter Christ Zois are working on a feature script partly inspired by this summer’s sex scandal surrounding former International Monetary Fund chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn.
On May 14, 2011, a 32-year-old maid at the Sofitel New York Hotel, Nafissatou Diallo, alleged that Strauss-Kahn had sexually assaulted her after she entered his suite. Following a lengthy investigation, prosecutors filed a motion to drop all charges against Strauss-Kahn, stating that they were not convinced of his culpability beyond a reasonable doubt due to issues in Diallo’s credibility and inconclusive physical evidence. The motion was granted on Aug. 23, 2011.
Wild Bunch’s Vincent Maraval has confirmed that actors Gérard Depardieu and Isabelle Adjani have been rumored circling characters based on the scandal-plagued former IMF chief and his wife Anne Sinclair and have met with the director, but Maraval says the project is still a long way from active development. No word yet on who would play the character inspired by Diallo.
The idea for a film came about on a lark when Ferrara was making “4:44 Last Day On Earth” with Wild Bunch earlier this year. Per Maraval, it was suggested that the DSK sex scandal would be a good fit for Ferrara given the filmmaker’s penchant for themes of addiction, notes Deadline.
*A new book purports to give Dominique Strauss-Kahn’s version of events of what happened in that New York hotel suite.
In “DSK Affairs: The Second Inquiry,” Strauss-Kahn’s biographer says when a hotel maid locked eyes with the then head of the International Monetary Fund after he emerged naked from a shower, he interpreted her allegedly seductive body language as a proposition.
The one-time French presidential contender has not spoken out on the May 14 encounter, which led U.S. authorities to charge him with attempted rape, and the book is being marketed as his much-anticipated side of the story.
Lawyers for the maid, Nafissatou Diallo immediately dismissed the book – by Michel Taubmann – as “complete fantasy.”
In key excerpts published in Paris Match magazine Thursday – ahead of the book’s scheduled Dec. 8 release – Taubmann alleges Diallo acted seductively upon bursting in on a naked Strauss-Kahn. Upon seeing the then IMF leader, she “started walking toward the exit. But she wasn’t in any hurry,” the excerpt reads. “She stares him in the eyes. Then, she looks openly at his genitals.”
The excerpt continues: “The flesh is weak. Dominique Strauss-Kahn saw a proposition. The situation amuses him. Rarely in his life has he refused a moment of pleasure. He does not resist the temptation to receive oral sex. The act is fast, very fast.”
Diallo’s version of event differs wildly from those described in the book.
She has alleged that Strauss-Kahn violently attacked her when she arrived to clean his suite, forcing her to perform oral sex on him before she quickly left the hotel. Investigators found physical evidence, including bruises on her vagina and traces of semen in the room, but the criminal case against Strauss-Kahn was dismissed when prosecutors said they had lost faith in Diallo’s credibility.
The excerpts also suggest that Diallo might be behind the alleged theft of Strauss-Kahn’s work Blackberry. Taubmann says phone records show Strauss-Kahn last used the IMF Blackberry around the time the incident took place and suggests Diallo was one of a handful of people who could have taken it.
The possible robbery of the cell phone, Taubmann suggests, might have been part of a political plot to bring down Strauss-Kahn – a Socialist who was then widely seen as the top contender in France’s upcoming presidential race in April and May.
The book’s excerpts do not contain any direct quotes from Strauss-Kahn, though author Taubmann said in an interview with Paris Match that he has met with the politician at least six times since the May 14 incident, and also had extensive email and phone contact with him.
Taubmann, who has written a previous biography of Strauss-Kahn, said he also studied phone records and surveillance tapes from the hotel.
Diallo’s lawyers Kenneth Thompson and Douglas Wigdor said late Wednesday that the allegations in the book were absurd.
“Strauss Kahn’s absurd claim that Ms. Diallo was told to steal his Blackberry and (she) somehow looked at him seductively and consented to his violent and abusive sexual acts is complete fantasy,” the lawyers said in a brief statement.
“We look forward to questioning him at trial about the sick and deranged acts he committed against Ms. Diallo” as part of her pending civil case.
After the criminal charges against him were dropped, Strauss-Kahn returned to France in September. In his single public appearance since his return – a live interview on TF1 television channel – Strauss-Kahn acknowledged “moral failings” but didn’t provide any details about what exactly happened behind the closed doors of the hotel suite.
Since his return, he has been plagued by other scandals, including allegations by a French writer that he sexually assaulted her during a 2003 interview and claims he was linked to a suspected hotel prostitution ring.
*It looks like the end of the sticky tale between Dominique Strauss-Kahn the former IMF leader and his accuser Nafissatou Diallo (pictured above) is about to end.
According to recent reports, the hotel maid is looking a lot less like a credible person due to the unraveling of all of her lies. She even supposedly lied about the consensual sex she had the night before the alleged encounter.
So prosecutors are reportedly seeking to dismiss the charges as soon as today against Strauss-Kahn (pictured below), also known as DSK.
“There are going to be bombshells,” one source said of the lengthy document, which is expected to be filed and released to the public any time after prosecutors officially reveal its contents to Strauss-Kahn’s accuser, maid Nafissatou Diallo, and her lawyer, the New York Post reports.
But that isn’t the end of it. Prosecutors are filing a Dismissal on Recommendation motion to ask the court judge on the basis that Diallo is a storyteller and that she’s lost much of her credibility.
It will also include other allegations never presented before, including Diallo’s curious flow of cash deposits into her bank accounts. Her personal relationships are also being questioned.
*Guinean immigrant Nafissatou Diallo (pictured), the woman who is accusing the very powerful, former International Monetary Fund boss, Dominique Strauss-Kahn, or DSK, of rape is now suing him. She filed a lawsuit recently and is asking for unspecified damages for what she calls the “violent and sadistic” attack in the (Manhattan) Sofitel hotel, according to the Associated Press.
The lawsuit also says Strauss-Kahn “intentionally, brutally and violently sexually assaulted Ms. Diallo and in the process humiliated, degraded, violated and robbed Ms. Diallo of her dignity as a woman.”
Also, it says that he injured her shoulder and bruised her vagina and he allegedly left behind traces of his semen and bloody tissues.
Before his arrest on May 14, Strauss-Kahn (pictured below )was a potential French presidential candidate, but he was pulled off the plane after the report of the attack was filed.
He pleaded not guilty to charges of attempted rape and other crimes. The former boss was then resigned from his position at IMF.
However, last month he was released from house arrest after he claimed to have found holes in his accuser’s background and story.
Prosecutors say Diallo liked about her background in which she claimed she was gang raped in her home country. But she admitted she was raped but not in the way she described for her application for U.S. asylum.
Nafissatou Diallo (L) and Robin Roberts of "Good Morning America"
*The New York hotel maid who accused former IMF chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn of attempting to rape her said in an interview published in Newsweek that he appeared as a “crazy man” and attacked her when she entered his room.
Nafissatou Diallo also gave the newsmagazine and ABC News permission to identify her by name, reports Reuters.
The magazine interview marks the first time the 32-year-old Guinean immigrant to the United States has publicly spoken to the media since she alleged that Strauss-Kahn emerged naked from the bathroom of his luxury suite on May 14 and forced her to perform oral sex.
“I want justice. I want him to go to jail,” she said in an interview with Robin Roberts on ABC’s “Good Morning America.” [Scroll down to watch the "GMA" report. The full interview will air Tuesday on "Nightline."]
“I want him to know that there is some places you cannot use your money, you cannot use your power when you do something like this,” Diallo told Roberts.
One of Diallo’s attorneys, Douglas Wigdor, told Reuters she has come forward to let the world know she is not a “shakedown artist or a prostitute.”
“She’s being attacked … and she thought it was important to put a name and face to her account,” Wigdor said.
She also plans to file a civil lawsuit soon, which means her name would become public, he added.
ABC reported Diallo also acknowledged “mistakes” but said that should not stop prosecutors from going forward.
“I never want to be in public but I have no choice,” she told ABC News, adding “Now, I have to be in public. I have to, for myself. I have to tell the truth.”
Diallo, who Newsweek said had agreed to be photographed for this week’s edition, said she saw Strauss-Kahn appear naked in front of her when she opened the door to his suite. He was like “a crazy man to me,” she said.
“You’re beautiful,” she reported Strauss-Kahn as saying, and said he attacked her despite her protestations.
Strauss-Kahn, 62, has repeatedly denied all the charges against him. In a statement on Sunday, his lawyers called the interview a last-ditch effort by the maid and her lawyers to extract money from the former managing director of the International Monetary Fund.
She is “the first accuser in history to conduct a media campaign to persuade a prosecutor to pursue charges against a person from whom she wants money,” lawyers Benjamin Brafman and William Taylor said. “Her lawyers and public relations consultants have orchestrated an unprecedented number of media events and rallies to bring pressure on the prosecutors in this case after she had to admit her extraordinary efforts to mislead them.”
Her credibility was thrown into question when Manhattan prosecutors revealed Diallo told authorities numerous lies, including fabricating a story about being gang-raped in Guinea in order to gain U.S. asylum. She also changed details of her story about what happened following the purported assault.
Wigdor said Diallo has worried that prosecutors would drop the charges. “That has been a concern, but we’re all hopeful that the district attorney’s going to do the right thing,” he said.
After arriving from Guinea in 2003, Diallo, who is illiterate, told Newsweek she spent years braiding hair before working at a bodega in New York City’s Bronx borough. As a maid at the Sofitel hotel, she received $25 an hour plus tips.
Diallo said her husband in Guinea died of an illness but did not provide further details. Roughly two years after being raped by two soldiers in Conakry, the Guinean capital, she fled with her daughter, now 15, to the United States, where she said she has few close friends.
Following the alleged attack, Diallo spent weeks in protective custody, holed up in a hotel with her daughter.
“She’s been in seclusion for over two months. She hasn’t been able to take a walk in the park,” her lawyer said.
French newspaper France Soir reported in a front page headline that David Koubbi, the lawyer for French writer Tristane Banon, who has accused Strauss-Kahn of a 2003 sexual assault, had met with Diallo. It added only that he “was impressed by her courage.”